Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Remembering awesome...

A friend of mine is going backpacking which reminds me of my South America trip.

THIS WAS THE BEST PACK EVER!!

Osprey Kestrel 48


OTHER ESSENTIALS:

North Face Capris: Good for warmer climates, making you feel like not a total schlub while backpacking and are quick dry. Don't forget lightweight.


Convertible North Face pants: Good for every day. Great for days when you change from the mountains to suddenly in the rainforest (like we did). Look silly but are quick dry and are very lightweight. (Pictured: Paramount Peak Convertible Pant)


Chacos!!! Just be warned the following may happen. However, mine were perfect for white water rafting when everyone else went barefoot. And hiking when boots are too heavy. Bring these (maybe Tivas) or just don't bring sandals.



Hi-Tec Boots (or other awesome hiking boot): Keep the feet dry and happy.


Good hiking socks: Wick moisture to keep your feet dry, provide support, breathe, warm and cushion your feetsies. I forget the exact brand of mine but these look right. (Pictured: Thorlo Hiking socks)



Under Armour rain coat: It stops the wind, has no leak zippers and, thankfully, breathes. It's the only rain coat I've ever liked. It is also a goofy coral color...but I got it on sale


Columbia fleece (or other awesome fleece): I got mine at JC Penney for $15-20 probably 5 years ago...yay spring sale. Didn't need more than this and my rain jacket for cold nights. But this was South America, not Alaska.


Camelbak: For all your water-carrying needs. My pack also has a pouch specifically for this and places to attach the hose. Perfect.


Leatherman Blast (or other Leatherman or Gerber):


Yep, definitely the stuff I will never travel without again. The quick dry underwear wasn't bad but at $18 a pop, I dunno. They would actually dry after you washed them in the wickedly humid air.

No comments:

Post a Comment